Skip to main content

Add Star Rating In Power BI Desktop Using DAX Expression

Overview
In this article, we will learn how we can add Star Ratings in Power BI desktop using a DAX Expression.
I have attached a sample practice file with this article.
Scenario
I have one Product table having two columns:
  • Product Name
  • Rating


     
Now, I want to represent ratings in the form of Stars.
Let’s get started.
Step 1
Create a new measure column in Power BI Desktop.
Step 2
Add the following DAX expression.
  1. Star Rating =  
  2. REPT(UNICHAR(9733), AVERAGE('Product'[Rating]))  
  3. &  
  4. REPT(UNICHAR(9734), 5-AVERAGE('Product'[Rating]))  


 
Now, let’s elaborate on what this DAX expression means.
Here, I have used two DAX functions to achieve this requirement.
  • UNICHAR()
  • REPT()
UNICHAR()
This function returns the Unicode character that is referenced by a given numeric value.
Syntax
UNICHAR(Number)
Example
Suppose I write UNICHAR(65) then it will return ‘A’ because ASCII value of A is 65.
In our case for filled stars, we have used UNICHAR(9733) which will return a filled star.
UNICHAR(9734) will return a hollow star without filling.
We have concatenated both the stars using logic.
REPT()
This function repeats text a given number of times. Use REPT to fill a cell with a number of instances of a text string.
Syntax
  • REPT(Text, NumberOfTimes)Suppose my rating is 4 then I need to repeat stars four times. So, I will use:
  • REPT(UNICHAR(9733), AVERAGE('Product'[Rating]))The above statement will repeat Filled stars four times.

    Now, I want to show a rating out of five. So, one star will be unfilled. So, I have used the following:
    REPT(UNICHAR(9734), 5-AVERAGE('Product'[Rating]))
Step 3
Now let’s drag the fields to a table.
It will look like this.

 
Conclusion
This is how we can apply Star Rating using DAX expressions.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Lock Objects In Power BI

Overview Sometimes, there is a situation where when we open a report and click on any visual it accidentally nudges a chart a little bit to the right or left. Sometimes, by mistake when viewing a report, the arrangement of visuals scatters a little bit. Microsoft rolls out one new amazing feature to resolve this issue, that is, Lock Objects in Power BI. Advantages of using this feature When our purpose is to only view a report, this feature is a boon for us. Visualization’s position is not changed. Saves a lot of the developer's time to resolve the position related issues. Note   -  This feature is not saved with the report. So, every time you open a report, you need to enable this feature. Now, let’s understand this feature in a brief manner. To understand this, I will first show you one report in which I have not enabled “Lock Objects” feature. Step 1 The below screenshot shows my report which doesn’t have the enabled Lock Objects feature. ...

How to partition or split DataTable in C#?

Today we will discuss how we can divide or split a very large data table into fixed size of chunks? Scenario: Suppose there is a data table which has 1000 Rows. When you perform for each loop on data table and read each row at that time it will take too much time. If we devide 1000 Rows datatable into 10 fixed sizes (e.g. 100 Rows) datatable, It will take less time. Let's check how to achieve it. Here is a code. private static List<DataTable> SplitTable(DataTable originalTable, int batchSize) { List<DataTable> tables = new List<DataTable>(); int i = 0; int j = 1; DataTable newDt = originalTable.Clone(); newDt.TableName = "Table_" + j; newDt.Clear(); foreach (DataRow row in originalTable.Rows) { DataRow newRow = newDt.NewRow(); newRow.ItemArray = row.ItemArray; newDt.Rows.Add(newRow); i++; if (i == batchSize) ...

Install Power BI PowerShell On Your Windows Machine

Overview : In this article, we will learn how we can easily install PowerShell for the Power BI on our machine. Installation of PowerShell for Power BI is very easy, and I have tested it. So, let’s get started! Notes before you start Check your current Windows PowerShell version using the following code snippet. $psversiontable   Make sure you have the latest version of PowerShell installed on your machine. I will recommend having PowerShell version 5.1 or more. If you have an older version, you are not able to install the PowerBI module. Update your .NET Framework with 4.7.2 or higher. Once we have the above two prerequisites, we are ready for the installation for the Power BI PowerShell. You can find Microsoft.PowerBI.PowerShell Module in the PowerShell Gallery. Here is a link for the same:   Click Here . You can also download it from Microsoft GIT repo:   Click here . Now, let’s start the process. Step 1 Open your Windows PowerShel...